Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Deed is Done

As I mentioned last week, Bakin is in cosmetology school. Yesterday was her first day on the floor, and I was her first haircut client. For those of you who are dying (no pun intended) to know the outcome, I'll cut to the chase and say that I am incredibly pleased with the results. Now, read on and I will give you the full story.

Let me start off by saying that I was the first one to schedule an appointment with her. Her mom scheduled an appointment to get her nails done a couple of days later. Mom's original appointment was scheduled for early in the afternoon, but once she found out that I was scheduled for mid-morning, the ex moved her appointment earlier than mine. I was kind of amused by that.

As the date drew near, Bakin was kind of proud of herself for chiming up in class. It turns out that they hadn't been taught how to do guy haircuts, and when the instructor said "We're going to just bypass this for now," Bakin said "Um, no you're not! I have a male haircut scheduled for this Saturday." So the teacher couldn't bypass that lesson. I'm glad that the kid stuck up for herself.

You may or may not recall me saying this earlier, but until yesterday, it had been approximately six months since my last haircut, and my locks had grown a bit shaggy during that time. I have fine hair, but everyone's hair has that awkward stage, somewhere between short hair and long hair. I was right in the middle of that phase. It's a good thing that I'm a middle-aged guy who is no longer obsessed with appearances.

One thing I DO enjoy, however, is changing my hairstyle, and since I had several months worth of shag, I figured this was a grand time to change things up. The last time I actually sported a hairstyle, it was the short messy look. The new look, courtesy of Bakin, is the classic short back and sides. If you picture the male actors in the old 1920's movies, you've got the idea. It starts at zero, and it graduated to about 3 inches on the top. It can be slicked back for a power lunch with my fellow business executives, or it can be left unkempt on the top for a night on the town.

As for the cut itself, Bakin was nervous and intimidated, but we took our time, and it turned out very well. I was able to explain not only the cut I wanted, but also the steps she needed to follow to make it happen. An hour and a half after she started, my hair was done, and even the instructor said that she did a good job. I'm proud of my little girl, and happy that I was able to be her first hair client.

1 comment:

rayray said...

if i had hair, i'd let her cut it!
;)