Saturday, June 9, 2012

Evaluating the Traxxas Velineon Brushless Motor System (VXL)

Early last month, I wrote an article about my new toy, a Traxxas Stampede RC car.  Out of the box, I concluded that everything was great, except for the motor.  Since then I replaced the stock Titan 12T motor with a Velineon Brushless motor system.  The motor system consists of a motor and speed controller.  If you are converting from a standard motor with brushes to a brushless system, you will need to purchase a speed controller as well.

With that  little tidbit out of the way, I'll just cut to the chase and say that the upgrade is absolutely worth it!  I didn't do a scientific before and after comparison, but I noticed a tremendous increase in speed and torque with the brushless system.  It also seems that my run time is slightly longer with the Velineon motor, but again, I wasn't scientific with my approach.  The motor is absolutely able to run through grass, and the VXL motor has better heat tolerance as well.  (The 12T manual said to stop running at about 150 degrees, and the VXL motor said that it could tolerate 200 degrees.)  As for the torque?  With the 12T, I could only pull wheelies for the first few minutes of a run.  With the Velineon motor, I can pull wheelies until shortly before the motor dies.

If you're considering the purchase of an RC car, I suggest that you purchase a model that already comes with a brushless motor.  The initial sticker price is a bit higher, but it's less expensive than converting to a brushless motor later on, and there will be less initial frustration.  But if you're like me, someone who purchased a low-end model and are wondering if it's worth it to go brushless, well, let me put your mind at ease... it's absolutely worth it.  Now, what are you waiting for?  Go order that new brushless motor!

No comments: