Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I'm Kind of Slow to Commit





This is Part 3 of a ten-part review of Ubuntu Linux.  The series is designed to give you a rough idea what it's like to try Linux.  It's not a how-to, and it's not a blow-by-blow recount of my experience.  For your convenience, links for each part of this series are located at the end of the article.



When I first downloaded the Linux  installation software, I discovered that I didn't have to immediately install it to a hard drive. In fact, they have what's called a “live” version. Linux Live (which may or may not be available in every flavor of Linux, but I know it's available in Ubuntu) is designed to be run from a CD or USB thumb drive, and is read-only. I should clarify the “read-only” comment. If you boot to Linux Live, the OS will find your monitor, mouse, keyboard, Ethernet devices and so forth, and will install the drivers for you. Linux Live will contain a generous amount of pre-installed software (word processor, spreadsheet, audio software and the like), and you could theoretically write up and print a document, listen to your MP3s, surf the Internet, and so forth from Linux Live. But you could not save the document to your Linux CD or Live USB drive (without some front end work). Linux Live is designed to give you an idea of what Linux is like, and to give you a consistent experience from device to device. Linux Live is a great way to let you try Linux on several different machines, without having to commit to repartitioning hard drives and so forth. I found this to be an excellent way of introducing me to Linux, because I can be kind of slow to commit.

Part I, The Grand Experiment

Part II, So Many Flavors

Part III, I'm Kind of Slow to Commit

Part IV,  ASmall, Short-Term Commitment

Part V, Diving Below the Surface

Part VI, A Different Animal

Part VII, Okay, It's Pretty, but What Can it Do?

Part VIII, Okay, I'm Committed, But It's Not all Puppies and Rainbows

Part IX, Unity

Part X, Parting Words

No comments: