Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Parting Words



This is Part 10 of a ten-part review of Ubuntu Linux.  The series is designed to give you a rough idea what it's like to try Linux.  It's not a how-to, and it's not a blow-by-blow recount of my experience.  For your convenience, links for each part of this series are located at the end of the article.

Now that I've carried this evaluation series as far as I possibly could (… is there anyone still reading this??) let me summarize my experience. I'm going to start by saying that I'm still using Linux. In fact, I've upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. (LTS stands for long-term-support.) I guess, to some extent, that makes me a Linux convert. I want to clarify though, that I will not be ditching Windows.

There are a few reasons that I'm not ditching Windows... I need to know it for my job. There will be times when I need the interoperability of MS Office, and the fact is, I just like Windows. With that said though, I also like Ubuntu Linux... that's why I'm still using it, even after I've finished my evaluation. I'm still writing this review from LibreOffice.

I want to also re-iterate that Ubuntu Linux is not crash-proof, and it's not for the feint of heart. Ubuntu Linux 12.04LTS is a very mature, well-designed, user-friendly operating system. But anyone who tells you that it can't crash is smoking crack. Linux is not for the feint of heart. I've learned a lot during these past couple of months, but there's no doubt that I'm still a Linux neophyte. If cost or the desire to learn is your primary reason for choosing an operating system, then Linux is a great possibility. But if you want better support and/or greater interoperability with others, specifically in a workplace environment, then I'd stick with Windows.

Finally, I want to re-iterate that Linux is a fragmented operating system. This means that, while Ubuntu Linux was great for me, there are other possibilities out there. Don't let my narrow review and experience completely determine whether or not you try Linux.

P.S. Oh, Holy shizzle!! I just figured out the printer problem... it boiled down to this... when the printer auto-discovery process happened, it found a printer with a crazy name... BWDXXXXXXXX (whatever). For some reason, I decided to give this another try... okay, not “whatever reason,” the old printer died on me, and I bought a new one. I ran the install process – again – and it choked – again. But I got this wild hair, and substituted BWDXXXXXXX (or whatever it was) with the IP address of the printer. Lo and behold, the shizzle worked!! One less complaint about Linux... or not. I figured the issue out – on my own – but this was because I have a lot of experience with computers, and decided to try to carry some of my Windows knowledge over to Linux. For clarification, I spent a LOT of time trying to find the answer. At NO point in time, on NONE of the plethora of forums I caroused, did I EVER find this recommendation. Funny thing is, it's SO simple. This should be an early troubleshooting recommendation.
Part I, The Grand Experiment

Part II, So Many Flavors

Part III, I'm Kind of Slow to Commit

Part IV,  ASmall, Short-Term Commitment

Part V, Diving Below the Surface

Part VI, A Different Animal

Part VII, Okay, It's Pretty, but What Can it Do?

Part VIII, Okay, I'm Committed, But It's Not all Puppies and Rainbows

Part IX, Unity

Part X, Parting Words

1 comment:

Sunny said...

LOL- I'm still reading your review of it, altho i have to admit that about 2/3rds of it might as well be greek- but I've found that the more I read stuff i dont understand the more i understand...Its like a big jigsaw puzzle where the outside edges are easy to understand, and then there are the pieces that I "accidentally" find the place for- and after lots of trial and error all the difficult pieces are fit in until the last piece drops in place and THEN understanding dawns and you think-" It wasnt really that hard now that I understand.....

And on that note- I dont think I have the patience to deal with the Linux system. IAs annoying ans Windows is to me sometimes- its the Devil I know- and have been using for the 12 years I've owned a computer.
Then again- maybe someday someone will come up with a system that will interface with our brains and just be able to "read" us.
I'll wait for that system.....altho now that I think on it- that seems VERY scary.