Monday, June 11, 2012

So Many Flavors...


This is Part 2 of a ten-part review of Ubuntu Linux.  The series is designed to give you a rough idea what it's like to try Linux.  It's not a how-to, and it's not a blow-by-blow recount of my experience.  For your convenience, links for each part of this series are located at the end of the article.

One aspect of Linux that makes it unique when compared to Apple, and Microsoft to some extent, is that it you have more choices to make. This is a double-edged sword. If you buy a Mac, it comes with MacOS, and that's it. If you buy a Windows computer, it comes with the latest release of Windows, and you can choose between the home-oriented release, the business-oriented release, or both. Linux takes things several steps further. Linux is open-sourced, which effectively means that anyone and everyone can make changes to the core operating system. A loose analogy for what results is buying a car. If Linux is Chevy, then the various distributions would be the Impala, the Camaro, and so forth. They're all distinct from one another, with different features and limitations, but there are also many things that are interchangeable from one to another, and they're all Linux.

Making this choice in and of itself could be enough to prevent some from venturing into Linux land, but I am not your run-of-the-mill trepid user. No, I simply went to Google and asked “Which Linux distribution is best for me?” One of the results brought me to a Linux distribution chooser that asked me questions relating to my computer knowledge, peripherals, preference for command line vs. graphical user interface (GUI) and so forth. I had planned on going with Ubuntu, based on preliminary reading. The test confirmed my hunch, so I went with it, and downloaded Ubuntu 11.10.

No comments: