Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Worse Than Reality TV

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to another episode of "What the fuck is President Bush thinking!?!" In today's installment, the White House has given the United Arab Emirates the green light to take over six major U.S. sea ports. Call me a little suspicious, but I think that putting any Arab company (or country in this case) in charge of just one of our major sea ports is a huge mistake. While it isn't necessarily like putting the fox in charge of the henhouse, or giving the government control of a huge portion of our money and freedoms (oh wait, we've already done that), it seems to me that it would be akin to implementing Swiss banking rules in the U.S. while simultaneously trying to bust money laundering rings. Let's see here, the President, in his infinite wisdom, distrusts his people and government so much that he wants to do warrantless wiretapping on his own citizens, but he trusts a government with several dubious ties to the 9/11 hijackers.

Some of the politicians in Washington content that they don't object to foreign ownership. I do. It's a mistake to outsource ownership of anything that's critical to our security and economic livelihood. It's a colossal error of judgment to hand over something as important as a major seaport to any foreign company. Of course I'm sure the President will say that he has thought it over, and I'm equally convinced that he'll say "Trust me, I know what I'm doing." Sorry Mr. President, your historical decisions have proven that I can't trust you.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that I'll get some hate mail from the pacifists saying that I can't group all Arabs together. Save your breath. This isn't about racism. This is about using common sense. The Arab world has proven themselves violent, radical and Anti-American. (Allow me to cite the worldwide violent protests over a stupid cartoon as the latest instance in a long string of examples.) Once they change their consistently proven behavior, I will re-evaluate my position. Once they give me reason to believe that they can be trusted, I will reconsider my opinion.

No comments: