Sunday, April 15, 2007

Classical Mystery Tour

Last night we went to see the Classical Mystery Tour, a Beatles tribute band. The family was accompanied by our neighbors... their daughter is close friends with our kids, and we've become friends in our own right over the last few years. The neighbor family adults are big Beatles fans... they named their boy after one of the Beatles.

At first I was a little skeptical about the concert. I like the Beatles and thoroughly appreciate what they've contributed to music, but I've never considered myself a Beatles fan. (I've always had a much greater appreciation for The Rolling Stones.) By the end of the second song though, my skepticism had completely evaporated, and through the magic of music, I was transported to a time and place that I could never hope to visit in reality. By the way, we were in the second row, center, for the concert, and it was a theatre setting, with comfy seats and alcohol served. Definitely a concert for baby boomers. It allowed the boomers to relive their youth while still catering to the reality that their bodies would be much more comfortable sitting down. But enough about the venue, let's talk about the concert.

The orchestra opened up with a brief medley, and then the fab four came on, complete with the black suits of the early era. As the show progressed, the band changed clothes and wigs (and moustaches as necessary) to reflect the evolution of the original Beatles. The band performed music that was written after the original Beatles broke up, creating an interesting disconnect.

The orchestra was heavily used, and it was a great way of giving the local symphony some exposure. The set list was an awesome compilation, spanning everything from the early years through their solo careers.

A few of the songs...
YESTERDAY
ELEANOR RIGBY
I AM THE WALRUS
LIVE AND LET DIE
IMAGINE
HEY JUDE
PENNY LANE
HERE COMES THE SUN
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE
CARRY THAT WEIGHT
MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR
SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND
WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS
HARD DAY'S NIGHT
TWIST AND SHOUT
YELLOW SUBMARINE
OB-LA-DI, OB-LA-DA
HELLO, GOODBYE
COME TOGETHER

By the end of the show, the fans were standing up, clapping their hands, and singing with the band. Their was one die-hard Beatles fan who wore his Sgt. Peppers-style jacket, and several who were decked out in their hippie-garb. As I mentioned at the outset of today's post, I've enjoyed Beatles music, but had never considered myself a hardcore fan. I think I'll be re-evaluating my position. If you ever have a chance to see Classical Mystery Tour, I'd heartily recommend that you take advantage of the opportunity.

No comments: