Saturday, April 7, 2007

It's All Greek to Me

I suspect that you've all heard about the Greek cruise liner Sea Diamond striking some submerged rocks and sinking about a quarter-mile out from Santorini Island. According to this article by the Associated Press, six people have been arrested as a result of the accident. The article quoted a Merchant Marine Ministry spokeswoman as saying that the boat's captain, chief mate, second mate, third mate, chief cabin steward, and housekeeper were taken in to custody.

I don't quite get the logic here. I completely understand the captain and (first) mate being arrested... I can also understand bringing the second and third mate in, but the chief cabin steward and housekeeper? That's a little mind boggling. How could these two have conceivably had anything to do with the boat's sinking? Here are a couple of possibilities...

How it could be the Chief Cabin Steward's fault:
(Chief Cabin Steward's voice comes over the loud speaker) Okay guests, we're going to mess with the captain today. We're all going to run from one side of the boat to the other to see if we can tip it over. We're all going to start out on the port side, and then when I count to three, we're all going to run to the starboard side as fast as we can. Okay, ready everyone? One... Two... Three!!
(Loud screeeeeeeeech as rock breeches the metal hull): Uh-oh! I guess that wasn't such a good idea.

How it could be the housekeeper's fault:
I'm really tired of them not paying me what I'm worth. Well, I'll show them... I'm going to run every washing machine at once, and each load will be unbalanced. The combined centrifugal force of all of these unbalanced washing machines will send this ship careening into submerged rocks. Then they'll see who's "just a housekeeper!" Mwa-ha-ha-ha

I think the Merchant Marine Ministry has it all wrong. This accident reeks of the nefarious Dr. Katonian.

No comments: