Sunday, July 1, 2007

Harley Grandma

I guess my mom's still got some thrill-seeking left in her. Grandma, as I affectionately call her, came down for a few days so we could see a play... a family ritual for the last four years -- about the time that the Mrs. and I started dating. While Mom was down, I asked her if she wanted me to take her for a ride on my bike and she quickly agreed.

Yesterday morning, I fired up the bike, gave her a quick tutorial on the ins and outs of being a motorcycle passenger, strapped the helmet on her and away we went. At first I wasn't sure if she was going to enjoy it, but within a few blocks she shouted "This is fun!" Shortly thereafter we took a quick spin on the freeway.

After stopping back home to check in with the rest of the family, I asked if she enjoyed herself, and mom couldn't suppress her grin and she immediately accepted when I asked if she wanted to ride a little more. Once I found out that her favorite part was the highway, I told her about a little scenic byway that I frequently ride and asked her if she was up for another half hour or so.

We got suited back up and were back on the road in short order. I was very pleased to hear her laughing like a little girl as we took the gentle twists and turns along the river road, and as she squealed with delight when we went over the occasional bumps in the road.

My brother had taken her around the block several years back when he had a bike, but mom said this was her first real ride on a motorcycle and there's no doubt in my mind that she'll jump at the chance to go out for another ride. As we removed our helmets and I pulled the bike into the garage, my mom took a little sadistic pleasure in announcing that "Your father is going to kill us both when I tell him about this."

Waddaya know, my mom is a closet Harley Grandma and I was the one to bring it out of her. I'm sure this is a moment she'll remember for a long time to come, and I'm incredibly pleased that I could be the one to give her the experience.

No comments: