Monday, July 16, 2007

Not Exactly Like Riding a Bicycle

One of the little kid's friends is part of a community ski team, and this friend has been inviting us to go and ski. The team has open skiing every Sunday during the season for only five bucks per person. This includes skis and lessons. We went a couple of weeks ago so my kid could learn, and she did a great job. The one thing people kept asking is whether or not I was going to try it. I wasn't dressed for it and didn't bring enough money but agreed to go next time.

"Next time" was yesterday. I've never skied before yesterday, but they made it look incredibly easy. One of their ski boats has a metal boom hanging off the side of the boat, so you don't learn on the rope. I told the guys I'd never skied before, so they gave me the quick rundown and asked me if I was ready, and we were off.

That boom was the bomb! I was up in seconds and didn't fall once. After a few minutes they said I was ready for the rope. We went back to shore, they gave me a couple of pointers on using the rope and asked if I was ready. After telling them I was, the second round began... I watched the rope's slack disappear, heard the roar of the engine, and felt the pressure rise against my skis. I began to stand, got about halfway up and abruptly lost my balance.

As I tumbled I felt a twinge in my left knee and ankle and immediately knew the ski didn't fly off properly. I was pleased with the progress I had made, but also knew that I was done skiing for the day and a little pissed at myself for getting hurt the first time out.

The boat driver came back around and asked if I was okay. I told him that I twisted something and that I should probably take a break. I threw the skis into the boat and asked them to pull me on the boom, because I didn't feel like climbing into the boat. I laid on my back and kept my injured leg out of the water.

Once we got to shallow water, I hobbled to shore and knew my ankle was sprained for sure. The little 'un saw me limping and asked if I was okay. "Yeah," I replied. "I just hurt my leg a little and need to walk it off. Are you going to ski some more?"

"I think so," she responded, but all of the boats were out with other skiers. As I continued walking it off, my ankle hurt more and more. Little 'un must have seen how bad I was limping, because in another minute or so, she came and said "Dad, I'm ready to go."

"Are you sure kid? I'm done for the day, but you can go out again if you want."

"No, that's okay." I limped to the truck and we came home. As I drove home, the pain in my ankle got a little worse and I remembered spraining my thumb. When I sprained my thumb, I never went to the doctor and the thing never healed quite right. It's no big deal, but I've permanently lost a little mobility and strength in that thumb (maybe 5%). I didn't want this to happen to my leg, so I decided to go to the doctor. That, and the fact that my ankle hurt bad enough that I couldn't climb the stairs.

Wifey-poo saw me limping and asked if I was okay. "Yeah, I'm okay but I'm going to the doctor to make sure it's not broken."

"Do you want me to drive you?"

"No, I'll be okay and I don't want to waste the whole family's day. I'll be fine."

"Do you want me to bring you some food?"

"No, I'll be okay. I'll call you if I need anything."

As I drove to the doctor's office, I almost wished that I had taken the wife up on her offer to drive me. The pain kicked up another notch and since I couldn't find a comfortable position with my foot on the floor, I had to hold my leg in the air. By the time I got to the urgent care facility, my ankle hurt so bad that I had to hop in to the building.

I've got to say that the urgent care place was top-notch. They had me seen in less than 15 minutes after walking in the door... that's including the time to fill out the paperwork. I was very impressed with these folks. The X-Rays were a little uncomfortable though.

I won't keep you in suspense any longer. I broke my ankle. Learning to water ski isn't exactly like learning to ride a bike.

No comments: