Saturday, July 14, 2007

Reefer Dadness

A couple of days ago I was stumbling around the internet and came across this article, titled "Reefer Dadness." (I love the title.) The article is essentially a position paper, saying that it's okay for parents to smoke pot as long as they do it responsibly. The author talks about staying sober when it's kid time and winding down with a little ganja after the children are in bed.

The story hit a nerve with me. You see, I used to be a reefer dad but I'm not anymore. I gave up the herb for a variety of reasons. Drug testing at the job, worrying about potential custody battles with the ex, the potential for losing my home if I got busted and wondering about what to say to the kids about drugs in general all contributed to my decision to stop smoking pot. With current legislation and society's overall opinion of marijuana, there's no question that my decision was the right one, but I wish I didn't have to make that choice in the first place. As a former pot smoker, I can unequivocally say there's nothing wrong with smoking pot as long as you consume it responsibly.

Like the author of the original article, I generally smoked when the kids were in bed or weren't around, though there were a couple of times where I had to switch into dad mode while under the influence. Despite what the naysayers say, it's not difficult to parent when you're a little absent-minded. In fact, it's occasionally a better approach. For example, when the kids are fighting, you're a little more detached, so it's actually simpler to get the kids to stop arguing while remaining calm yourself.

One commenter in the article pulled out the old "What if there's a fire" argument. The person who wrote that statement has obviously never been stoned. Yeah, you're a little foggy-headed, and it's certainly difficult to do calculus under the influence (speaking from experience), but if there's a perceived emergency that requires your immediate attention, instinct kicks in and the fogginess disappears. In fact, I will argue that it's easier to handle an emergency under the influence because the panic factor doesn't really kick in.

I remember as a young stoner spending a lot of time on the High Times web page, where fellow potheads would talk about their desire to legalize marijuana. I read one story about a man who was allowed to legally smoke medicinal marijuana, and was inspired by his advocacy for legalization. I actually emailed the dude and asked what he recommended I do to further the cause. His reply? "The first thing you need to do is stop smoking it," explaining that my credibility is suspect if I advocate legalizing an illicit activity while engaging in it. I wasn't yet ready to give it up so instead, I gave up the idea of arguing for legalization.

Now, several years later, I've stopped smoking pot, but I still believe it should be legal. And most people I talk to about marijuana also believe it should be legal. I sometimes wonder how, with so many people believing that pot should be legal, it can remain against the law to spark up a spleef. But I always come to the same conclusion. There's big money in keeping it outlawed. The Federal government (specifically the DEA) and the alcohol industry have a huge stake in keeping the status quo intact. But I believe the government is incredibly short-sighted in their steadfast refusal to reconsider their position. Legalizing marijuana has the potential to revolutionize our economy. Think of all of the jobs that would be created... farmers could grow it... tobacco companies could package and distribute it... truckers could ship it... stores could sell it... and governments could tax it in a manner similar to alcohol and tobacco.

Despite what the government preaches, marijuana is not evil. Yes, it's a drug. Yes, it has potential for abuse. The thing is, studies have shown time and again that marijuana is less damaging than alcohol and tobacco. There is a lower chance for dependency, there are fewer health risks, and there are even circumstances where marijuana has therapeutic or medicinal value. Why does the government insist on keeping it illegal?

As long as marijuana remains illegal, I plan to stay stay pot-free. The consequences of getting caught outweigh the pleasure of engaging in the harmless activity of getting high. But our government's position is completely baffling to me. I not only fail to understand their rationale, I completely disagree with it. Fortunately, this is America and I can voice my displeasure. By writing today's blog entry, I am exercising my right to disagree with our current laws... and rest assured, when a legislative candidate expresses a view similar to mine, I will certainly support the election of that individual.

No comments: