Thursday, January 31, 2008

More Ups, More Downs

For once in I don't know how long, it looks as if I failed to give my ex enough credit. A couple of nights ago, I talked to the ex about the kids' living arrangements. I approached things by pointing out that sexy wife and I could offer better conditions than the kids would get with the ex, and made what I considered a very reasonable recommendation. Normally she gets the kids on Tuesdays, Thursdays and every other weekend. The Mrs. and I have them Mondays, Wednesdays and every other weekend. I suggested that the kids visit the ex on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but spend those nights here. I added that they should come back on Sunday evenings too. In other words, school nights should be spent here.

I've brought this up in the past, and the ex went ballistic, so I was expecting the riot act and quite frankly I was planning to go to court. It was actually my attorney who asked me if I'd talked to the ex before filing any court paperwork. I was stunned when the ex agreed, lock, stock and barrel.

*****

More truck problems. On my way home last night, I noticed that the transmission was slipping. As I returned to the truck from a stop at the corner store, I saw why... a puddle of transmission fluid was accumulating around my front passenger tire, and the puddle was rapidly expanding. Fortunately I was able to make it home, and based on the location of the puddle, I think a line blew, so it should be quick, easy and relatively inexpensive to fix. (I'll know more on that today.)

*****

Check out my new toy. It's an XV6700 smart phone. It's not the latest and greatest, but it's the first time in a couple of years that I've had a smart phone, and I've got to say I've missed it. My last phone ran the Palm OS, and I've got to say that I like the Windows interface a little better. Some of my favorite features...

-This synchronizes with my work email, so I'm more on top of things.

-I can VPN to work from home, so I can use my phone to reset passwords, reboot servers and so forth.


-The internet is surprisingly fast using EVDO technology.

-I can listen to music, watch movies, and so forth.

-It's got wi-fi too, which allows me to sign on to the internet anywhere there's wireless broadband access. Great for working out in the plant.

-Voice-activated commands allow me to launch programs and call people with simple voice commands.

-Graffiti feature allows me to actually write with my stylus, instead of using the small keyboard.

I missed my smart phone!

No comments: