Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Blogging with MS Office 2007


Today started out being a quiet morning. Outside, the snow is gently falling, with just enough breeze to cause the snow to dance and whirl as it slowly falls to earth. Mrs. Evan and the kids are sleeping in, and calm radiates through my body as I take in the winter scenery. Reading the news brought me somewhat back to reality, and I realized that yet again, I've neglected to send Christmas cards. I really should stop beating myself up over this. I've never been very good about sending Christmas cards. If I suddenly started sending them, I suspect that many of my friends and relatives would wonder if I had contracted a terminal illness.

My next thought was that I'd send out a Christmas newsletter (in electronic format, of course), complete with gaudy flashing Christmas graphics, ugly fonts and unreadable colors. My master plan focused on the ugly graphics, which I downloaded from the internet. Unfortunately, when I actually started composing the newsletter, I quickly found out that they weren't animated when added to MS Word. (Bummer.) Not the type to give up easily, I figured I'd try to embed them into an email… after all, the newsletter was going to be emailed anyway. Same problem… the graphics weren't animating. Once again, I persevered and continued with my quest, and wrote an HTML document… forgetting momentarily that web pages refer to graphics instead of embedding them. That was a stopping point.

During my search though, I discovered that MS Word 2007 has a blogging template. And wouldn't you know it, I happen to have a blog? That brings me to the point of today's post… it's nothing more than an experiment to see how things look when I compose a blog post in MS Word 2007 and post it to blogger.

This is a test link.



Update: I'm not incredibly impressed. My initial post included a graphic before the text, a test of WordArt after the test hyperlink, and a second graphic at the end of the post. None of that stuff ended up on the actual post. Additionally, editing posts is cumbersome. In order to edit this post, I had to supply my username and password three times...once to access the blog as an admin, once to edit this post, and one final time to actually post the edited test. This method of blogging sucks balls. If Microsoft is going to try to make it easy to blog through MS Word, they need to make sure that graphics get uploaded, and they need to make sure I don't have to enter usernames and passwords so often.

6 comments:

Sunny said...

Well, no one can say you didn't give it a LOT of thought and work TRYING to do the card thing....no matter WHAT for it is in!!!!
Kudos E-Man!!!!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!

Sunny said...

Okay- so I have to ask....did you get your COD-WAW from Santa???

Paulius said...

I just started blogging through Word 2007 and I kinda like it.

If I'm honest, this is because my posts rarely include graphics, links or anything like that...and until very recently I was writing my posts in Word, then cutting and pasting them into blogger.

Basically, I justremoved a step...all I have to do now is click 'New blog post' in Word, type the post, then click publish. If I'm going to need pictures or text I just go back to my old cut and paste method.

Evan 08 said...

Paulius: I've found the problem with the graphics. The root is that I don't have the 'picture server' setting configured correctly. I tried to figure that out, but gave up after 15 to 20 minutes. I don't suppose you know how to config the picture server for blogger?

Sunny: No, no WAW, but we did get Lips (a karaoke game for XBOX), a new wireless guitar (or bass) for Rock Band 2, my own copy of Grand Theft Auto IV, and the Star Wars Lego game. I'd still like to get WAW soon, but I've got more than enough to keep me busy for a while.

Paulius said...

To be completely honest, I don't even know the NAME of the blogger picture server.

I spent twenty minutes trying to find it in blogger's help area but gave up after a ten minutes or so. As I said in my last comment, I rarely use pics so it wasn't a priority.

Anyhoo, I can highly recommend WAW (at least once you've played online for a couple of hours and unlocked some new toys)...so let me know if you get it.

GTAIV multiplayer is supposed to be an absolute blast, so let me know when you've finished the single player game and we can try it out.

Evan 08 said...

I've finished the single player game. I'll look for you online and we can play multiplayer.