Saturday, December 20, 2008

My Latest Toy

I got a new DVD burner recently. I wasn't really looking for one, but I got a deal that was too good to pass up. Burning CDs and DVDs and making home movies is old hat technology. One thing that always bugged me about home-made media though was the amateur appearance of the labels. The choices were to either write on the face of the media, or to stick a label on. Thanks to lightscribe, that's no longer the case.

Lightscribe is a direct disc labeling technology that allows you to burn an image directly onto the top of the CD/DVD. It's a great way to use clip-art and your imagination to come up with a very professional design for your home movie DVDs. Right now it's only black-and-white (rather, black and DVD color), but it's a quantum leap forward from writing on the CD. By the way, lightscribe has been around long enough that it's cheap. You can get a CD/DVD burner with lightscribe technology for less than $30.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Oh Geeze Edith!!!!!!

You HAD to give a review of another Gadget for Paulius to drool over, didn't cha???
LOL...
Well, on the upside- if we keep adding to his gadget collection, eventually the house will fill up and we'll HAVE to move!!!!

Actually this gadget might eliminate the gadget he already HAS which is in several pieces now.....

verification word for today is rankt...souhern slang for ranked.

Paulius said...

Actually, I looked at lightscribe drive when my last DVD burner needed replacing. I ended up not buying it thanks to a total brainfart moment.

I saw the lightscribe drive for exactly the same price as the regular burner I ultimately bought and thought:

"Hey, that's really cool...only I don't have any lightscribe DVDs, so there's no point in getting one."

Yeah, for some reason it totally escaped me that:

a)Lightscribe drives can burn normal DVD's
b) At some point or another I would have to buy more blank DVDs.

Oh well, maybe when my current one goes caput.