Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Glimpse of Spring

The weather hit almost 70 degrees today, and I've been taking advantage of it all day. The sun is shining, the curtains are pulled back, the windows and doors are open and I can hear the birds singing from the nearby trees. What a beautiful afternoon!

My older daughter had finals today, so she got home early from school. We went on a short motorcycle ride, and then she went for a bike ride with the neighbor girl and they had a picnic at a nearby park. I happily spent the next hour or so raking leaves from the front yard. It's not specifically that I like raking, but I wanted an excuse to enjoy the first real day of spring-type weather.

Later on, my younger daughter came home from school, so I took her on a bike ride as well. As usual, tolerates longer rides better than her older sister, so the second ride lasted about twice as long as the first. On the way home, I stopped and grabbed some beer for me, and some chips for the kid. (Side note, my new saddlebags are about the perfect size for a six pack of tallboys.)

After returning home, I cracked a beer and played fetch with the dogs... er, dog. The older one won't fetch anymore. That lasted for about two minutes, at which point the dogs and I all lost track of the tennis ball. Oh well, I'm sure it'll turn up when I run over it with the mower in a few weeks.

The only thing that'll make this day any better is sharing some quiet outside time with my sweetie. Maybe I'll ask her to pick up something to grill when she's on the way home from work.

No comments: