Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Retread

I wish I could think of something to write about... but I can't. I've been reading the news about how the economic sky is falling, and all I can think is... WTF!?! Seriously.

I'm not going to say that I'm debt-free, because I'm not. I owe some on my credit card, I owe on the house, and I owe on my student loan. But I don't own a new car. I don't live in a McMansion, I don't have too many credit cards that are all at their limit, and I didn't keep re-financing the house every time the assessed value went up.

I'm not a super-saver, but I'm not a super-spender either. Unfortunately, it seems that the entire rest of the country does fall into one of these two categories... and many of the super-spenders are learning their lesson, and becoming super-savers. This is going to wreak havoc on the government's plans for recovery. Less spent money equals a slower recovery and fewer taxable dollars.

It's about time that we learn to moderate a bit... quit keeping up with the neighbors and spending beyond our means. Too bad our kids (and their kids, and their kids -- assuming that global warming doesn't wipe out the planet before then) will have to pay for it all.

Repent. The end is near.

2 comments:

Paulius said...

It reminds me of the old SNL skit where they did a parody of one of those 'get out of debt' TV ads called "Don't buy stuff you can't afford"

Watching Steve Martin acting like he just couldn't get his head around the concept of not spending money he doesn't have was goddamned hilarious

Evan 08 said...

Funny you mention that... I just saw that skit last weekend on Hulu.