Monday, July 6, 2009

Another Recipe

I've always been a fan of potato salad. Sure, I like some varieties better than others, but I can't really think of a potato salad that I don't like. Since I like to eat potato salad, it should logically follow that I like to make potato salad as well... especially since I enjoy cooking.

When I make my potato salad, I tend to refer to it as Kitchen Sink Potato Salad, because it's got a bit of everything in it. I usually make it once or twice per year, usually around now, because it requires a lot of fresh vegetables. Here's the basic recipe...

1 large carrot
2-3 scallion onions
1 celery stalk
2-3 medium sized dill pickles
3-4 radishes
1 small can chopped black olives
3 lbs. potatoes
4-6 hard boiled eggs
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup mustard

Preparation:
-Boil the eggs. While the eggs boil, cut the potatoes into large chunks. DO NOT PEEL THE POTATOES! (The eggs take roughly 15 minutes to boil)

-Once the eggs are finished, boil the potatoes. While the potatoes are boiling, finely chop all of the vegetables and mix them together. This will allow the hard-boiled eggs enough time to cool, and give the potatoes sufficient time to cook. (30 minutes or so, for a loose estimate.)

-Once the veggies are chopped and mixed, the eggs should be cool enough to shell, chop and add to the chopped veggie concoction. I tend to discard one or two of the hard boiled egg yolks.

-Right about now, the potatoes should be sufficiently cooked. Remove from heat and rinse with cold water. Add the mustard and mayo to the chopped veggies and stir it all up. Salt and pepper to taste.

-Once the potatoes have sufficiently cooled, dump the potatoes into the chopped veggies and stir it all up. In order to prevent the stuff from turning into 'mashed potato salad,' I tend to use my hand for the final mixing. (Yes, I wash them first.)

THIS is my favorite way of preparing -- and eating -- potato salad.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Olives in potato salad......this is a novel recipe...I'LL have to try it, only put olives in MY half tho- Paul can't stand em.

Tater Salad!!! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evan 08 said...

I think the most beautiful thing about potato salad is that you can tweak it as you see fit. If Paul doesn't like olives, then by all means don't add 'em... unless you want to keep all of the spud salad for yourself ;)