Friday, November 20, 2009

Homework

Today's been a day of cleaning and fixing stupid little broken things around the house. In my last post, I talked about the new vacuum I purchased. Well, that was set in motion because I had to clean the furnace. The furnace kept tripping the breaker, because it was overheating. It was overheating because the A/C radiator, which is obviously part of the overall HVAC system, was clogged with years worth of dust and pet hair. This is the second time I've had to do this dusting since I've lived here. It's not exactly easy to do, but it's waaaay cheaper to do it myself than it is to hire someone to come out and do it for me. This time though, I used some duct tape and sealed things off a bit better. Hopefully, that will eliminate -- or at least postpone -- any further ventures into the HVAC system for a while. Even better, maybe it will reduce my heating and cooling bills a bit.

I've also had a clogged sink in my bathroom. This too has happened before, and no, Liquid Plumber didn't help either. In order to clean the clog, I have to remove the sink trap and clean the crap out with a screwdriver. The pipe was so clogged that I was surprised that any water flowed at all. To complicate matters a bit though, the sink trap pipe broke when I disassembled the thing, which required a run to the hardware store. No big deal, it just turned a 20 minute job into an hour and a half job. Such is the life of a do-it-yourselfer.

3 comments:

Sunny said...

*sigh*
Been there-done that, Bro!!!

Paulius said...

Yup, our kitchen sink took not one, not two, but three applications of drain cleaner.

Liquid plumber sucks and doesn't work. Drane-O worked first time (although it took longer than it was supposed to).

Oh, and liquid plumber's 'money back guarantee' is a load of crap. All you have to do is go on the internet, print out a ten page form, fill out the form, send your ORIGINAL receipt along with the UPC code etc, etc, and in six to twelve months you'll get your seven bucks back.

Evan 08 said...

Meh... these things weren't a big deal... just time-consuming.