Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I Remember Those Days

The Marine Corps birthday got me thinking about my active duty time. Nostalgia kicked in, and I spent a bit of time searching for some of my Marine buddies. I found two of them, and spent about 30 minutes catching up with one of them today. This guy was one of my closest friends when I was in the Corps. So much so, that I can't find the words to express how incredible it was to hear from him. Yeah, really... I'm kind of speechless. I type a sentence... I relive a memory... I try to find the words... there aren't any... another moment of reverie engulfs me... I once again fail to find words that express the recollections. It was a lifetime ago... it was yesterday. I've tried to track this guy down on and off again for well over ten years.

I actually tracked him down through his wife -- who I also remember with great fondness. She summed it up better than I can when, during our email conversation, she said "We felt bad we lost contact with you and [a mutual friend]. I remember those days ... as fun and care-free."

Fun and care-free. I can't find a better way to summarize those days. I missed you. I can't believe how much time has passed. I can't believe your boy is all grown up. I hope that we can actually meet in the near future.

1 comment:

T50 said...

I'm so glad you took the time to track us down. It has been wonderful catching up and I promise you this....one day, we will meet again!