Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Is There Anything that Doesn't Have a Gift Registry?!?

I read an article today that talks about Italy hosting its first-ever divorce fair... whatever the hell that is. Okay, I know what it is... it's a fair that's designed to help people "untie the knot as painlessly as possible."

In all honesty, I guess I get the idea of a divorce fair. But there's a part of this article that really irritates me... "visitors will also be able to subscribe to divorce gift lists..."

So let me make sure that I understand this. We're supposed to buy our friends gifts when they get married AND when they get divorced?!? Doesn't this mean that we're supposed to celebrate the permanence of the relationship, AND the realization that the relationship isn't permanent?!? Geez, if I'd have known this, I'd have asked for gifts when I divorced wife 1.0. Hell, if this "divorce registry" idea takes hold, maybe wife 2.0 Mrs. Evan and I can make an annual ritual of divorcing and re-marrying. I wonder how many years worth of expensive gifts we could accumulate.

2 comments:

rayray said...

that could get expensive for your friends!
think of us!!!

Paulius said...

Well, technically, if one of my buddies found themselves divorced and cleaned out, I'd try to help them out with a bit of spare furniture, or an old TV or something... when a couple break up, at least one of them is going to find themselves without half their stuff...but I agree that a 'Divorce Registry' is going way too far.

...but that's one of the major downsides of capitalism, no matter what the situation or problem, someone, somewhere is going to try to find a way to make a buck off it.