Monday, July 25, 2011

Still Lame, After all these Years

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... my high school graduating class is lame.

Don't get me wrong, we suck less than we did five years ago, which sucks less than we did twenty years ago, and that's not as bad as when we actually graduated. But for the most part, we suck.

Why do you ask? Well, it's generally accepted that 20 and 25 are big reunions. I didn't find out anything about the 20th until about a month before the event. I had planned to go, but life got in the way (which proves that I'm not immune to the lameness of my graduating class).

Fast-forward three or so years. I started talking to and hanging out with some of my high school classmates (aside from the one or two that remained my friends throughout). The ten to twenty of us who talk and hang out all seem to realize that we're not who we were, while reliving fun, sad or embarrassing times from our past.

I had kind of hoped that things would change for this year's 25th class reunion. No such luck. People started planning events around nine months ago. The events included...

-A Friday night get-together at a local bar. It's a rare establishment that was cool then and is still cool.

-A walk-through of the school Saturday morning.

-Hitting the skating rink. Designed to be a family-friendly event, but it was canceled because too few people committed to and paid for the event. (This is another areas where I'm not immune to the lameness. But in my defense, this is because I didn't read the itinerary carefully enough.)

-A big party Saturday night. $40 per person would buy the venue, food, two kegs, and a DJ for 4 hours. There was also a planned cash bar. Canceled because too few people committed and paid. (I did pay for this event.)

I still hold out a bit of hope though. Saturday afternoon, we're having an informal gathering at the local swimming hole. (I'm kind of proud of myself on this, because it's my suggestion.)

Saturday night is a pub crawl. I think I'll probably be done drinking by the time this really gets going, and I'm a little disappointed that there aren't more kid-friendly events, but the kids are old enough to fend for themselves for a while... besides my parents LOVE to spoil their grand kids.

Either way... I'll fill you in after the event and let you know how things went.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel...I went to my 10th- and God have Mercy on us- 90% of the people who attended acted like they were in Jr. Hi...... I vowed then I wouldn't go back to another.
recently, (in the past year) a group of classmates started getting together once monthly(sometimes more often if they have enough willing) at the local watering holes for an informal get together and IT seems to be doing MUCH better than than the BIG events.
On the other hand- reading some of the comments being made on FB after the informal get-togethers, Not THAT much has changed from the 10th year Reunion. Sad isn't it? i would have thought we would have evolved more from the childishness of yesteryear.... Guess I was wrong-AGAIN.