Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Let Me Evaluate Your Product

According to a Yahoo article, Microsoft has sent out new laptops preloaded with Windows Vista to 90 lucky bloggers. Common sense would dictate that Microsoft did this in an attempt to generate some additional excitement about its new operating system. According to the article, Microsoft "has made it clear that it did not expect the bloggers to give Vista glowing reviews -- or even review Vista at all." That said though, it's pretty obvious what the software company was hoping for.

While some people are bashing on Microsoft, hinting that this act was nothing more than a transparent attempt at generating buzz, I believe it was a stroke of genius. I'll gladly concede that it's a marketing ploy, but it's still smart because they're getting free publicity on several fronts. First, I'll guarantee that a few people will review the new systems, and I'm sure that some people will relay a positive experience. Second, they're generating buzz merely by giving the machines away, and finally, the anti-Microsoft bigots are unwittingly furthering the software giant's goals by spreading the word even further.

This article got me thinking though. Why couldn't I do reviews like that? After thinking long and hard, I couldn't come up with a single reason. With that said, I'm officially throwing my hat in to the "Let Me Evaluate Your Product" ring. This is a dead-serious offer. If you would like someone to evaluate your product and write a review, then let me know! I've got a few rules though...

-I will not evaluate anything and everything that comes my way. I will not test anything that I deem dangerous, that's illegal, or violates American law.

-I will provide an honest evaluation, based on my personal experience. These reviews are mine and mine alone. I will not guarantee any pre-determined review.

-I will state any possible biases or conflicts of interest at the outset of my review.

-I do not necessarily expect to be financially compensated for my reviews, but I do expect some sort of payment. For example, if I evaluate a game, let me have a free copy. If I test a phone, let me keep it for a couple of weeks, and maybe give me the option to keep one permanently. If I test a new computer, let me keep it if I like it.

-If I experience a problem, I will not automatically pan the product. I am willing to work with support personnel as needed, but it cannot cause permanent damage to anything I currently own. (In other words, a new software package cannot require me to reformat my PC due to data corruption, and a new fuel additive cannot require me to rebuild my engine. If this happens, you will pay for said damages.)

-I will sign non-disclosure agreements if I am beta testing a product, but expect to be able to write a longer review and publish the review when the product is released.

If you are interested in hiring me to evaluate your goods, products or services, please leave a comment on this post, letting me know how to contact you.

No comments: