Sunday, January 14, 2007

An Open Letter to Alice In Chains

Hey guys. I heard several months back that you're touring again, with William DuVall stepping into Layne's shoes. At first I was nothing but skeptical. After all, how could anyone take Layne's place? I kept an open mind though, and between reviews I read and the teaser clips I saw or heard on the internet, I am convinced.

Look, AC/DC lost Bonn Scott and they were devastated but they continued. I am humbly asking you to do the same. Though I was never fortunate enough to see you live, I can honestly say I've been with you since the beginning... okay, not exactly the beginning because I didn't live in Seattle, but I distinctly remember the first time I heard "Man in the Box." It was within months of the release of the CD and I was floored. I've been a fan ever since.

There's a part of me that mourns and misses Layne; there will never be anyone like him, and the world lost a creative genius when he died. At the same time, there's a part of me that thinks he's selfish. He not only let his addiction prematurely remove his talent and charisma from the world, he took you with him. Layne Staley is a huge part of Alice in Chains, but AIC is more than Layne. I hope that your tour this summer helped you realize and remember this.

Gentlemen, you have a lot to offer fans such as me. With this in mind, I humbly ask that you honor your past, but remember your fans and embrace your future. It would be a shame if you never again performed the music you created. It would be a tragedy if Layne's death was truly the death of one of the greatest musical groups of all time.

No comments: