Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Don't "Cheap Out" on Kids' Medicine

Having a sick kid sucks. Having a sick kid who won't take her medicine because it tastes icky is even worse. After several long years, I've finally learned this important lesson.

When I was a kid, there was no such thing as medicine that tasted good. Now even the generic stuff comes in more flavors than Willy Wonka candy. Unfortunately, the cherry flavored generic brand tastes way different from the cherry flavored name brand stuff. I used to buy the generic stuff because it was cheaper, and because I didn't want the kids taking strong medicine at the first cough. (There's a reason medicine tastes nasty. It keeps the kids from eating it like candy.)

The problem is, the kids know there's stuff out there that isn't quite so nasty. So now, they're whiny because they're sick and they're whiny because they know they got the nasty-tasting medicine. Ugh! Okay kids, I've learned my lesson. No more cheap medicine. Just quit your belly-aching and get better already.

No comments: