Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sometimes It's Just "Cold"

When I was a kid, I played in the snow all day long, regardless of how cold it was. Once I became a teenager I started spending a little more time indoors during the winter months, and by the time I was a young adult I was definitely a summer creature. Iowa isn't the ideal place for someone like me to live, but I chose to live here knowing full well that it gets cold during the winter. Not exactly Canada cold, but it's chilly enough that I'm perfectly content to hybernate for a few months.

Though I prefer warm weather, I have adapted to the cold... mainly by layering up but also by toughening up a little bit. With the latest cold snap, I've been innundated with the inevitable "Is it cold enough for you?" The smart-ass in me wants to snap back with "No, I'd rather be dipped in liquid nitrogen... then it'd be cold enough for me." My actual response is "yes."

That "Yes" isn't really an adequate answer though. Once it hits about zero, the actual temperature doesn't matter. It's just cold. If it's zero, ten below or 40 below, it's all the same to me. It's just "cold."

No comments: