Monday, April 21, 2008

More Art

I've tossed out a couple of new paintings during the last week. I'm still new to this visual art thing, so I'm still learning techniques, and I'm still in the process of figuring out my own style.






















This painting -- obviously an abstract -- was really an experiment in different techniques. I wanted to do something in earth tones, and I also wanted to experiment with different mediums. This was done almost exclusively without a brush... the only area that has brush strokes is the upper left section, where the green and rust highlights were added with light, fast, long sweeping brush strokes. The lower right section, has accent colors that were added with a bamboo skewer. Everything else was done with a putty knife and/or my fingers.

The upper left section reminds me of the sky, and the lower right section calls images of rain. The green and rust corners are simply abstract applications of color and texture.

This painting was done with my friend G-man in mind. He's building a boat (with a little bit of help from me), and I thought that this painting might give him a little bit of motivation. I hope that he likes this painting enough to put it in the cabin of his boat once it's finished, but that's my dream. What he actually does with it is up to him... after all, it's a gift.

I'd love to know what you think of these paintings.

2 comments:

Paulius said...

Well, I don't really like to comment on paintings (especially abstracts) because it's impossible to know what's a technique issue and what's a style choice. Here goes anyway.

The abstract : All I can say is that I like it. It's like a 'study in textures'...I'd hang it on my wall.

The Boat : Again, style versus technique. I'd have used a very thin brush and some white paint to place some highlights on the water. I'd have also 'softened' the hills in the background to give the illusion of fog and distance. For trees, I like to use the 'Bob Ross' style: Paint the trunk and limbs, use a large brush with dark green paint to define the shape of the tree, go over that with a slightly lighter green to create some depth and finally use a small fan brush with a very light green to add highlights.

Again, I like it, but it seems to have been painted very simplistically...but I'm guessing that was your intention anyway

Sunny said...

I think I probably like abstracts more than any other type of painting. I can make it what I see instead of what even the artist meant it to be.