Friday, April 25, 2008

The Perfect Job?

I was offered a part-time computer geek job today (which I've accepted). This will allow me the flexibility to remain a stay-at-home dad, the opportunity to work primarily from home and still help me keep my skills sharp and bring in a paycheck... thus allowing me to remove my skirt and put my pants back on.

In fact, this will let me gain some new skills. My history has been exclusively working on enterprise-level networks. This opportunity will give me a chance to sharpen my skills in a small business environment. I'm not considering this a panacea; I'm taking a wait and see attitude. Either way though, it's the start of a new experience. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Paulius said...

I think smaller businesses are better from the employee point of view anyway.

I once worked for a small 'one shop' business and I was 'Paulius, the guy who runs the counter, comes in on time and does a good job'

In my last job I was just 'Employee 254675-A'

In other words, you succeed or fail based on your own competence...not because of an employee evaluation from someone who barely knows your name.

Evan 08 said...

Yeah. I like the prospect of retaining my actual identity. My wait and see attitude is a reflection of my newfound understanding that I'm not so smart after all.