Monday, February 23, 2009

Pseudo-Refund

Let me start off by apologizing for being incommunicado the last few days. I've been putting in a lot of hours at work, which has left me with less time for blogging. I've also started composing a new song, which has further sapped some of my writing energy.

Mrs. Evan and I did our taxes yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. You see, I spent a large portion of my employment time as a contractor, which means that no income taxes were withheld for that money. Knowing this up front, I socked a large percentage of this untaxed income into a relatively high-yield savings account, knowing that Uncle Sam would want his share of my pie.

Between our lower tax bracket, itemized deductions, and the grace of God, the amount I actually owe is significantly less than I had expected to pay. In other words, we have a little bit of extra money this year. Mrs. Evan and I have decided to use the 'extra' money to whittle down some of our debt.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Aren't you glad you were a smart guy and socked away for taxes?

Evan 08 said...

Yep.