Saturday, October 1, 2005

The WAN is Falling

Though things are going really well on my new network, my old network is showing some signs of age (and neglect). One of my cohorts in Cincinnati called Thursday afternoon because none of the folks on his network could get to email -- which resides on my network. It turned out he caught a virus that killed all of his administrative shares and changed a crucial setting in the registry. All was good until yesterday morning when the virus came back. We worked with Microsoft for a few hours and voila, problem fixed.

Then at the end of the day yesterday, one of my cohorts in the other office here in town called me because DNS died in his building. Once again, we worked it out in short order. Then late last night, one of my night operators called me because she couldn't print. (I was a little put out over the fact that she called me on a Friday night because she couldn't print, but that's another story.) I ended up having to reboot my print server. Again, nothing major, but when you add it all up -- especially after my traumatic rebuild -- it's a little stressful.

The part that's amusing about the whole thing is that I was the hub of all of this activity. My compadres are both competent techs, and could have handled this by themselves. I guess they called me for moral support. It's kind of cool being the de-facto lead tech; if only I could get my management to make it happen for real.

No comments: