Monday, January 28, 2008

One Savvy Kid

When the ex told the kids about being evicted, they naturally wanted to know where they'd be staying. She told the kids that they'd be staying with her best friend. Before I get into the story though, I need to digress for a minute about the living arrangements. The ex's best friend is married to my best friend. I still get along with both of them, but my friend is fiercely loyal to me and despises my ex.

The ex and the kids are moving into the basement of the house, which is a small place, built in the 1930's. The living area in the basement is approximately the size of a standard bedroom, and my ex expects that all three of them to stay in that small space. To complicate matters a bit, the basement was an overflow storage area. This meant that my ex expected the kids to spend the weekend turning the space back into a livable area.

My younger daughter was all about spending time with mom, even if it meant spending the whole weekend cleaning the basement. My older daughter is starting to realize how messed up her mom is and wanted nothing to do with this arrangement. The older daughter spent Friday night at the neighbor girl's house. She spent Saturday evening there too, but came home (to our house) "feeling sick." She stayed at our place until around noon on Sunday and was scheduled to spend the night there Sunday. Around midday, I got a call from the ex, asking me to take the kids Sunday night. We agreed for me to get them around 8:00.

An hour or so later, the older kid called me and asked me if I could pick her up at 6:30 because she had "a lot of homework." I picked them up and we immediately started the homework. It was one simple math problem and she didn't need my help. She's no idiot. That was her excuse to come back to our house.

No comments: