Sunday, January 13, 2008

Perfect Day

Yesterday I experienced something I haven't had for quite a while -- a perfect day. It all started by sleeping in, but not sleeping so long that the day was gone before I even woke up. The next hour or so consisted of ingesting my morning coffee and surfing the Internet.

After that, I spent a little time playing Halo 3 online, where I was pleased to find that Microsoft may have finally fixed their Xbox Live Connectivity problem. (I won't say that it's fixed for sure though. One single problem-free day doesn't negate three weeks of problematic connectivity.)

Sexy wife and I had a quiet, peaceful afternoon where she read a book and I noodled on my guitar for a while, and then we went on a double date with my former roommate and his significant other. We hit the movies and saw I am Legend, a movie that pleasantly surprised me. Don't get me wrong, I like Will Smith and knew it would be a good movie, but I was happy to find that the movie wasn't a cookie-cutter Hollywood plot.

Following the movie, we all went to my favorite Mexican restaurant and had my favorite Mexican meal. Their fajitas are the gold standard for fajitas, the service is top-notch, there is almost never a wait for seating, and the ambiance is cool. My favorite location was a bank at one time, so you can imagine how the marble and engraved ceilings add to the atmosphere.)

Once we finished eating, we came back to mi casa, where our friends were introduced to the Xbox 360, featuring Rock Band and a brief introduction to Halo 3. As expected, they were a little disoriented by Halo 3, but Rock Band was a hit. Mrs. Former Roommate was very shy about singing, but we all had a blast. The game is a lot of fun for beginners and experts alike, and the default three-person configuration allowed us all to take turns resting and playing each instrument.

After they left, the Mrs. and I kept playing Rock Band for a while, where I made her jealous by getting two 100% vocal performances in a row. Adding insult to injury, one of the songs features a female vocalist, and in both cases I was just goofing around... improvising humorous lyrics, and making an all-around fool of myself.

These days don't come around very often, so I make sure to savor them when they do. The spell was shattered this morning when I got a work call at 6:58 AM. Oh well, back to reality.

No comments: