Tuesday, August 30, 2005

eHarmony

My wife, kids, and I were sitting around the other night, chatting about everything and nothing, with the TV running in the background, when a commercial for eHarmony ran. Somewhat wryly, I told my wife that I love her in at least 29 different ways... a not-so-sublte jab at the 29 different dimensions that the matchmaking service measures in their alleged personality profile. My older daughter didn't get the joke, so we explained it to her. Minutes later, another eHarmony commercial came on. The wife and I looked at each other, laughed, pointed at the tube and exclaimed "Big-un, that's the commercial we were talking about."

"Dad, you and [stepmom] should do an eHarmony commercial."

"Sorry, kid, we didn't meet on eHarmony... we met at a wine tasting, remember?"

"Oh yeah. Can't you cheat?"

"Ummmmm... how would we cheat?"

"Well, you could sign up for the service now."

"But they'd know we're already married, kid."

"That's okay. You could both say that you were gonna cheat on each other, and signed up for eHarmony's service. Then you found each other's profiles, and when you met, you realized that you really did love each other after all. Think about it. You could say eHarmony saved our marriage."

No comments: