Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I Now Pronounce You...


.
We were married in an intimate outdoor wedding on Saturday. The wedding, and the reception the following day, couldn't have been any more perfect.

It rained most of the night before the wedding, but on Saturday morning the weather was relatively cool, the sun was shining, there was a little dew on the grass, and a little mist rising from the river behind us. We were married in an English garden, where the flowers were in full bloom, and the scene couldn't have been more perfect.

The ceremony was short and sweet, with my (now) father-in-law officiating the proceedings. It was everything we had both hoped it would be. The kids were stunning, and the bride was absolutely radiant.

During the ceremony, her father got to the part about wives subjecting themselves to their husbands. I looked at the now Mrs. Me and quietly quipped "Remember that." Nobody else heard it, but the three of us all got a laugh out of it. Next, her dad looked me straight in the eye and ever-so-slightly emphasized "Husband, love your wife." We all laughed again at that.

I've been excited about my wife since the moment we met. I've been in love with her for almost as long. I've been looking forward to marrying her since the day I proposed. But the reality of becoming her husband, and the wedding itself, far exceeded my wildest expectations.

I know that there will be tough times... that's part of being married, but I felt the presence of God on our wedding day, and He was pleased. If our ceremony was any indication, we will experience a long, blissfully happy marriage. I'm looking forward to every minute.

No comments: