Friday, April 21, 2006

Illegal Immigrants - A Rant

I’m sure that you all know about the brouhaha over immigration. Up to now, I’ve been relatively ambivalent about the whole thing. Part of me realizes that these people are merely trying to make a better life for themselves and their families, and taking jobs that no Americans want. Part of me understands that they’re breaking the laws of the land, and for that, illegal immigrants cannot be rewarded with amnesty and a path to citizenship.

Today, an email sent to me by my friend Fred nudged me off of the fence. The email had obviously been forwarded again and again, and the original author didn’t put his (or her) written argument together very well. It was the links to the pictures contained in this email that drove me over the edge. These pictures were apparently taken at student protests in Whittier and Pioneer, CA, where the students walked out of class to protest the proposed Federal Immigration bill. During these protests, students flew the Mexican flag over the American flag, and they flew the American flag upside down!! (More pictures can be seen here.)

I understand and respect the right to protest, and I recognize the right of Americans to disagree. As an American though, I cannot tolerate this entitlement mentality from people who have illegally entered our country in the first place. I have great respect for immigrants who enter our country by legal means, make contributions to our American society, and respect our laws, traditions, sovereignty, and customs. That said, I am NOT willing to accede to the demands – yes, DEMANDS – of people who break our laws by coming here illegally, and then have the audacity to DEMAND the same rights as natural citizens or those who came to our great country by legal means.

After seeing the disrespectful method with which these lawbreaking criminals and their supporters presented their viewpoints, I am convinced that the only legally proper, and morally correct method of dealing with this group of illegal immigrants is to NOT give in to their demands (thus capitulating ourselves to a group of criminals), but by finding them and returning them to their point of entry.

To make matters worse, I read an article the other day about how the Mexican government, their police force, and their military deal with people who illegally enter their country from Central America. Mexican illegals are raped, beaten and robbed – by the Mexican law enforcement groups… and the Mexicans have the audacity to decry how we treat illegals in our country?? I don’t think so! To the illegal immigrants demanding equal protection in my country: Before you start crying about how you’re treated, maybe you should clean your own back yard (Yes, your native country of Mexico), and try entering my country LEGALLY. Until then, shut the fuck up, and get the fuck out!

I am offended by this dishonorable display both as an American, and as a veteran. If you agree with my position, feel free to forward what I’ve written. And if you really agree with what I’m saying, tell your representatives.

No comments: