Monday, April 10, 2006

Sometimes I Just Don't Get It...

I love my kids. I know that their mom does too, but sometimes I just don't get her. Recently, my wife, the kids and I were on vacation for over a week. Their mom missed out on a weekend with the kids, and the whole time we were gone, she only called the kids once... and that call was really a pretense to get some information from me. She talked to the kids for a minute or two each, asked me for the phone number she wanted, and then hung up. The kids called her once while we were in California, and once immediately after we got back. She never returned the calls. The call when we got back was important to the kids. Erin's gerbil had died, she was very upset, and wanted her mom. Mom never called back.

She didn't see or talk to the kids until Tuesday, her normal night with them. On Thursday, her next night with the kids, they spent the night with Tara, the girl next door to me. Tara and my kids are very close, but I don't approve of my kids spending the night at someone's house on a school night. Their mom, however, doesn't share my opinion and frequently allows this to happen. My younger daughter came over around 8:00 PM, saying that she missed her mom. She called, but again, mom didn't answer. My little girl ended up spending the night here.

I just don't get it. The kids' mom says that they're her main priority, but any time the kids are with me, she's unreachable. And many times that it's her night, the kids end up at friends' houses, or here. When they're with me, they're with me. Sure, I allow them to stay overnight with friends, but only on the weekends. And if something happens, they call me and I come to get them. When it's her time with them though, this isn't always the case. When they stay overnight with friends while on her watch, they still call me if they need something.

I know this is a rambling, disjointed entry, but I don't get it. She says the kids are her top priority, but her actions belie her words. My wife and I are available for the kids whether it's our time or not. But their mom is often unavailable even if it's her time. What gives?

No comments: