Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Did You Know...

... that you can use your Rock Band microphone as a USB microphone on your computer? Yep. I tried it out today, and it works fairly well. How did this come about, you may ask?

Well, I've been recording some music I've composed. I've been using my RP350 to create the drum track, and as an amplifier for my guitar, and have dumped the music to the computer via my sound card and the free Audacity software. I penned some lyrics over the last few days, and today I figured out how to use Audacity and my Rock Band microphone to record that track as well.

Don't even bother to ask me to publish the song... it's not anywhere near ready for anyone's ears but mine. But this should give a couple of budding recording artists some ideas for how to record free music.

3 comments:

Paulius said...

Try Acoustica Mixcraft. That's an awesome little program. It costs about 70 bucks, but during the trial period EVERYTHING'S functional...and outside the trial you only lose a couple features that don't actually make it unusable.

Anyway, your post pre-empted one I planned to write this week. It turns out that the Rockband microphone is a plain old logitech USB mic underneath. I used it to record some riffs from my acoustic guitar last week,

,,,and I posted MY song...sissy!

(I refuse to acknowledge the fact that my song was made up almost entirely of third-party, pre-recorded loops)

Evan 08 said...

HAHA... you've been pre-empted by a sissy.

Paulius said...

Yeah? Well...that's what...uhhh...

God dammit.