Friday, February 6, 2009

An Exciting Day

While working today, I got a call from my younger daughter...

"Dad, there's water dripping from the ceiling in your bathroom downstairs."

Bummer. "Okay, how bad is it? How much water is on the floor and how quickly is it dripping?" She went on to tell me that it was about a drip per second, and that she can't tell exactly how bad it is, because some of it was dripping directly into the sink, and part of it was dripping next to the sink, spilling on to the floor.

"Okay, kid I need you to turn off the water." I proceeded to tell her what to do, but we weren't sure she got it right. I decided to come home, but I was a half hour away, and had no idea what I was in for. I figured there was no sense in panicking and racing home like a madman, because that would only have saved me a couple hundred drops of water. I did, however, come up with the bright idea of asking the kid to have the neighbor come over and shut off the water.

Neighbor guy went above and beyond the call of duty. He stayed until I got home and was working on pinpointing the leak from the time we called him until we had it fixed.

In the end, it was a pin-hole leak in the ice maker line to our refrigerator. It cost me about two dollars to cut off a little excess and re-press-fit the line. Then it took another three-plus hours to clean up the water. And oh yeah, I ripped out part of the ceiling in that bathroom trying to find the leak. I guess it's time to remodel that room.

2 comments:

rayray said...

oh yea, it's BEEN time to remodel that bathroom.
8)

Evan 08 said...

No arguments here... it's been that way since before I moved in.