Saturday, February 7, 2009

Water, Water Everywhere

After yesterday's adventure, I cleaned up and called it a day. Regardless of the fact that I was far more destructive than I needed to be, I was pleased with the outcome. I had that feeling of satisfaction from a job well done.

Later on, I was talking with Mrs. Evan and realized that I hadn't started the dishwasher. About halfway into the rinse cycle I heard the familiar sound of water dripping onto the floor. I ran into the kitchen and saw water just pouring out of the bottom of the dishwasher, and gushing all over the floor. I used all of the towels in the house trying to contain and soak the mess. I had to shut off the water at the primary valve to get a handle on things. The inlet valve was (is) stuck in the open position. Even with the dishwasher unplugged, water runs throught the inlet valve and into the dishwasher... eventually it floods the dishwasher and spills to the floor if left unchecked.

But wait, there's more. Remember me mentioning that I turned off the main water supply? When I did that, water started trickling out of that valve as well. I talked to a friend of mine (who had just happened to call) and he told me that I could just tighten the main valve and that would work. He's right, and it did. But my water's still off.

No matter what, I can't get the water flow to the dishwasher to completely stop... and after all of the flooding and clean-up I've had to tolerate, I'm being a little anal about the whole water mess. I'll go out later today and try to find the part I need, and in the meantime, I am going to buy a brass cap and cap off the point where the water goes into the dishwasher... that'll fix things until I get the dishwasher fixed.

But hey, at least it's not dripping from the ceiling onto my bed.

1 comment:

rayray said...

you may have just jinxed yourself.