Saturday, February 14, 2009

Got 'Em

My saddlebags came in Thursday, and true to form I had them mounted that evening. While I was at it, I went ahead and made a video to commemorate the occasion. (The video was a little dark, but oh well. Live and learn.)

The saddlebags I purchased are Willie & Max compact slant braided saddlebags. They are made of PVC instead of leather, but they look very close to the real thing. (Hey, it was $200 cheaper for the fake stuff, and I've heard good things about the durability of PVC!) Here's my short review...

The bags are what I expected, and they fit well on my Sportster. Everything I read and heard indicated that I would have to relocate my turn signals in order to mount the saddlebag. Now that I've mounted them, I see that turn signal relocation was not necessary in my situation. The size (12W x 9.5H x 5.5D) is about the perfect size for a Sportster.

The bags mounted easily enough. I was done in about 30 minutes; this time included removing and reinstalling the seat, and taking the pictures, but does not include the video. The bags include a corrugated plastic interior, designed to help the bags hold their shape, quick-release clips under the buckles (so the bags open and close more quickly and easily), a quick-release zipper which allows the bags to be easily removed from the bike, and a detachable handle, which makes carrying the bags easy as well.

The quick release is a double-edged sword, of course. You can't expect to secure any valuables in the saddlebags, because they're too quick and easy to remove. But they'll provide enough room to carry rain gear, emergency equipment, or transport small items from the hardware store. It would be nice if there was a flap over the zipper, in order to provide a bit of security through camouflage.

Since the bags are still new, I can't vouch for how they will wear over the long term, but I must say that my first impression is positive. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and I believe that a video is worth at least a few hundred pictures. So, here's a video.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Whooo-Hooo!!

Great time to get em too...Hope the weather is as nice up there as it is down here in SC. Went out today and saw at LEAST a hundred bikers out riding. Three separate big groups- and LOTS of singles and doubles riding around rubbing my nose in the fact I still don't have one of my own.

As for the PVC vs Leather debate....PVC definitely wears comparably to leather- but with the wear- it doesn't have that rich, distinctive leather smell that we all know and love.

Or maybe that's just my opinion.

Nice informative Video, too. Not too long- nor too short.

Enjoy your ride.

Paulius said...

Yup, leather 'matures' while PVC just ages. On the upside, you're looking at years and years of use and that two hundredbucks you saved will fill your bike's gas tank a good few times.