Tuesday, July 9, 2013

In Defense of Homophobes



I’m sure that I’m going to get a lot of grief for this, but I’m trying to ask an honest, thought-provoking question here, not merely stir up a hornet’s nest.  How is it that people who support gay marriage, etc. are tolerant, when they refuse to accept that those opposing gay marriage may have a legitimate issue?

Before I continue, I want to clarify, for the record, that I've personally got no problem with gay marriage.  In fact, I'm proud to be from Iowa, one of the first states to allow homosexual nuptials.  I loved it when George Takei came out with his "I'm Takei," and "It's Okay to be Takei" catchphrases, and I free acknowledge that the gay community has far more avant garde taste in virtually everything than my silly redneck self does.  Furthermore, I was, until recently, intolerant of those who were prejudiced against the gay community, having had countless very heated debates with my mother, who opposes gay marriage on religious grounds.

I guess I started having second thoughts when I began to read the occasionally intelligently-written editorial from the other side of the fence.  Let me condense my brain stew of conflicting thoughts... Religion is widely understood to be very important, and something that transcends full understanding, pure logic and strict science.  Faith, specifically Christianity, is deeply ingrained into our national culture.  The Bible outright condemns homosexuality.  So, regardless of how misguided or insensitive the belief may be, conservative Christians have a point of view that should at least be acknowledged.  To belittle or dismiss this point of view does nothing to advance the debate or change anyone's perspective.  All it does is antagonize and cause people to dig in their heels and continue fighting.

To take this issue to the larger picture, I believe that this mentality has a lot to do with what's wrong with our country... I'm right, you're wrong, end of story.  No discussion.  No listening.  No attempting to see the other side of things.  I'm not asking everyone to instantly change their minds regarding homosexual marriage (or any other controversial topic, for that matter).  All I ask is that people quit yelling long enough to hear and understand the other side's point of view.  Who knows?  You might learn something.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Homosexuality does not grow the Xian population base and therefore is counterproductive.

Evan 08 said...

When you say Xian, are you referring to Christians, or the city in China?

Paulius said...

The big problem I have with the Bible and religion being used as 'rational reasons' for homophobia is the cherry picking.

Leviticus condemns homosexuality, but it also condemns 76 other things...including pork, tattoos and trimming your beard.

So, you get a clean shaven guy, eating a hotdog with tattoos down both arms, telling gays they're going to hell because the Bible says so.

How can I acknowledge someone's bigotry, when it's based on a set of rules they don't even follow themselves?