Wednesday, November 2, 2005

A Day at the Beach


Okay, time to write about the good shit.

We started out on Nikki Beach. The beach there was spectacular! The place was a field of daybeds... picture four full sized matresses butted together in a huge square with a small mountain of pillows in the middle. There are umbrellas for the pale-skinned, and huge beach towels to lay on. The incredibly attentive staff brings you drinks on demand. I kid you not, our drinks NEVER went dry before they came and brought us more. To make matters more fun, we were there with my brother-in-law and his girlfriend, who had scoped out the lay of the land a few days ahead of us. They're the high society, free-spending type of people, so by the time we got to Nikki Beach, the staff already knew Chris and Inna (pronounced EE-na), and our favorite spot on the beach was already reserved. Chris and Inna took incredible care of us... they didn't let us spend any money on anything! And believe me, between the four of us -- actually six, because we were with another couple -- Chris and Inna spent an obscene amount of money taking care of us. I hope they know how well they treated us before they left, and I hope they know how much the wife and I appreciate it.

The first night out, Chris and Inna treated us to dinner at Bianco, a truly five-star restaurant here in Puerto Vallarta. It turns out that Chris and Inna met the owner last time they were here, so when they returned, they hooked up with Bianco's owner again, and we were the personal guests of the owner. Here we are, sitting in a five-star restaurant in jeans and t-shirts, and we were getting pampered as if we were royalty. I've got to digress a bit though. I watched how the staff treated the other patrons while we were there, and I was impressed! If you're ever in Puerto Vallarta, you must visit the Bianco restaurant. The establishment in and of itself is worth the visit, even if you only have cocktails. But go upstairs, and have dinner on the balcony, by the river. The ambiance is incredible. The food is exactly what you'd expect from a five-star restaurant. I recommend their shrimp! As part of our meal, we were asked to critique the food. As a token of appreciation from the owner, he pulled out two bottles of Tekali flavored tequila... one amaretto, and one coffee. This was the best tequila I've ever tasted. It tasted like candy! Dudes, if you ever get the chance, try this stuff! We bought a bottle of each to bring back to the states.

After dinner, we went dancing at the local gay bar. We chose the gay bar because the music absolutely sucked everywhere else. The wife got a kick out of watching all the guys check me out, and having a night without everyone hitting on her. I got a kick out of dancing, and since everyone there obviously knew that I was with a woman, they left me alone too. It was a hoot!

Stay tuned. It gets even better!

No comments: